Sunday, December 5, 2010

Truth, What Is It?

These are thoughts swimming in my mind this day. I will try to list the ingredients that have made this stew bubble up in my consciousness. Last night at 2:45pm I found myself in a battle with a young raccoon over two chickens who had not been secured in their coop. One was spared attack while the others beak was crushed and may not survive. I did not get back to a restless sleep until 4:45pm.
This Sunday morning things are different. I will not be going between two churches as I have for the last several months. This morning I stayed for both services at one church. I expected to see folks I know but have not seen in months and indeed I did. It was a change back to what was the norm and reminded me that things are never truly the same. Little by little they are always developing into something new. This is because the inescapable presence of the creator is at work in a kingdom that is beyond our ability to comprehend. Through suffering and joy the new is coming.
I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass. Because I knew that thou art obstinate, and thy neck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass; I have even from the beginning declared it to thee; before it came to pass I shewed it thee: lest thou shouldest say, Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them. Thou hast heard, see all this; and will not ye declare it? I have shewed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them. They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not; lest thou shouldest say, Behold, I knew them.
(Isa 48:3-7)
Suddenly God! That is what happens. I find myself in a place I love with people I believe I love as much as I am capable. I learn from the little one's who live in the now with only the vaguest of expectation the foremost of which is the expectation to be loved unconditionally, sheltered from harm and kept in peace. I learn from the grow ups around me and from my own deceitful heart how far we project our expectations into a future we cannot know and how destructive it is to our lives. We are culturally predisposed to create a fantasy comprised of all our wildest selfish desires as we shoot for the stars and follow our hearts. We busy ourselves about this pursuit of our perfect life and shape a reality that is not founded on Truth. The  true state of this sinful fallen world proves itself with some suffering we are sure is undeserved and we fall into a pit of self pity. We cheat ourselves of God's provision. Pro - in favor of a proposition, opinion, etc. Vision - the act or power of anticipating that which will or may come to be.
Today I am affirmed in my convictions about expectation. I have practiced a life of few expectations. I try by the grace of God not to expect anything good of anyone except God. I claim no rights to anything in this world. I have daily witnessed God's provision of greater favor than I would ever be able to win of my own burdensome work. True relationships are built on availability and responsiveness. You cannot know the extent of anothers love without allowing them to love you under their own initiative. Be more a responder than an instigator. Learn to see the difference between polite tolerance and genuine favor. Allow the Holy Spirit to be undaunted by your own attempts to charm or buy influence. 
Let me try to sum this up. Do not design your own fantasy life and set about fulfilling it. Truth is not fulfilled fantasy, Truth is a life responsive to God our Father. Reality is his will on earth as it is in heaven. Do not be so quick to assert your will here on earth that you miss out on the greater blessing of being an active part of His will. Doubt yourself daily in favor trusting God. If you have the misfortune of building your own kingdom here on earth by forcing your will on the realm you have been given dominion over, you will come to the end of yourself and be empty with little time to be a part of  His will on earth.
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
(Rev 21:3-6)
One child runs to you and looks up to be lifted into your arms and held. One child sits at a table staring into space and tells you when asked, “what are you thinking about?” The answer, “Nothing.'””How is life for you right now?”, you ask ”Very bad",comes the reply.
Praise God He is making all things new!