Tuesday, May 3, 2005

Shrike


I made a discovery this morning as I strolled past the Jan Platt Library on my way to Leo's gym. In one of the small oaks growing around the library I hear the flutter of wings. When I look up to satisfy my curiosity I am greeted by the sight of three young Shrikes moving to the highest branches.

It quickly became apparent to me that they were not yet able to fly far or high enough to leave this particular tree. I went on to the gym like a good boy knowing that I would return with my camera and snap images galore of these captive subjects.

When I returned camera in hand there were three little Shrikes waiting at the middle of the small oak. I used an aluminum ladder to get as close as possible. I made at least three trips around the tree. Each orbit in pursuit of the best angle all the while they continued to hop and flutter to the branches farthest from my location. They tried to stay hidden but try as they might I was still able to get plenty of clear shots.

Logerhead Shrikes

Shrikes (Butcher Birds) are plucky little fowl. They are often mistaken for Mocking birds as they have very similar coloration. They are slightly small however and have a mask of sorts that surrounds their eyes. They like to nest and rest in trees at the edge of open field where they do most of their hunting. They eat lizards, mice, other birds, and insect and they name Butcher Bird is a description of their somewhat gruesome habit of hanging freshly killed prey on thorns or barbed wire allowing said prey to soften up for future consumption.

More about Shrikes