Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Tiny Clay Pot



Quite a pleasant day today! It is sunny with a sufficiently cool breeze making it a great afternoon for sitting on the front porch. Which is what I was just doing? Sometimes the simplest activity can be interrupted with the most amazing discoveries. As I sat daydreaming a small wasp began to hover near the Abricola plant next to my chair. I quickly realized that it had cargo. It was flying with a small green inch worm it had anesthetized. This fact is intriguing enough in its own right, but it was not until it landed at it’s destination that I was overcome with pure amazement. As I watched, this little wasp landed on what can only be described as a tiny clay pot, incredible and just this side of incomprehensible. The wasp approaches the tiny opening in the neck of the pot and expertly threads the inch worm into the opening until it disappears completely into the belly of the pot. God is so wonderfully revealed in His creation. I experience that inexpressible joy and comfort that comes with knowing that I am a child of the very same father that shares my delight in the nature he has created for my benefit. He knew that on this day I would see this event and take pleasure.

Psalm 8
1 O LORD, our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
6 Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
7 All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
8 The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
9 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!

With a little research I discover that this is a Potter Wasp. This wasp constructs this little pot to house its larva and then stocks it with caterpillars and or sawfly larva for this larva to eat. After it has gathered enough food It lays one egg just inside the entrance of the tiny pot and then seals the opening with a small mud plug.