Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Bird's Nest Fungus

Bird's Nest Fungus!

Found these spectacular little creations growing under the Sweet Potato Plant! They are Bird Nest Fungi (Nidulariaceae) and as soon as I laid eyes on them I was reminded that my amazing Father in Heaven knows me and loves me now and forever! These remind me of this post!


I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:14


Bird's Nest Fungus

Upon further inspection I discovered the small peridioles high above these little cups on the leaves and stems of the sweet potato vine they reside under. I thought to myself they must somehow propel themselves into the air and my next thought was could it be they rain? After researching the subject I find this, "Rain drops falling at approximately six meters per second strike the cup and eject the peridioles to a distance of three to four feet." Amazing!