Monday, February 24, 2014

The Squirrel Snatcher 2014

The Squirrel Snatcher 2014

Traps come in many forms. They can capture any creature there is either by killing it or containing it alive. The real beauty of a trap is its ability to work for the trapper while the trapper is not present and free to work on other daily requirements for sustaining life!

For me traps help me to control small animals who compete with me for the vegetables I grow. The chief culprit in our area is the Grey Squirrel. These little beasts are not doing anything wrong of course they are simply going about the business that God designed them for. As with all things created we were given the task of managing. Since Adam in the garden we have been given dominion over living things

And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Genesis 1:28

In todays culture this responsibilities is almost completely out of whack but as for me I am going to endeavor to follow God’s law over man’s vain desires.

The first trap I constructed used an external seesaw aka teeter-totter style trigger which makes it cumbersome to transport and store. I recently found a design shared by John Wooding on youtube. I decided to try making one because of it’s simplicity! It is a great design and very effective as the video below will illustrate!

The Squirrel Snatcher 2014

Good design is a joy to those made in the image of the Great designer Himself!