Monday, November 25, 2013

Return to Federal Point

To Federal Point

On Friday I decided on the spur of the moment to make journey to my fathers birth place. It had been a few years past since my last visit.

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

One of my all time favorite drives is trail 11 through the heart of the Ocala National Forest! There is also a fine shooting range located at the South end of this trail.

Angel's Diner

I drive along for an hour anticipating a stop at Angel’s Diner in Palatka, Florida!

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

I had the Samson platter this day. Their burgers are about the best I can find and their fries crispy on the outside and soft on the inside!

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

When you turn onto Federal Point road you drive right back in time!

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

I am headed to River House once the home of my Grandparents and the place my father entered the world!

To Federal Point

To Federal PointTo Federal Point

To Federal Point

I am happy to say not much has changed over the years and the current owner graciously shows us around.

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

The current owner also does fine taxidermy work.

To Federal Point

I was greeted by Pew the owners terrier. The story goes that this little smiling creature found the owner as he was sitting in the pews of his church. You can see why it would be hard not to take this affable fellow home with you.

To Federal Point

The neighbor's home has not changed all these years either. His wife has been absent from the body for a couple years now but Norman still inhabits his old home. 

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

The St. Johns River is a blessed place and I think of how rich a time it was for my father growing up along this patch of the river. My brother and I spend days swimming around this dock children.

To Federal Point

It was a pleasure to see old Norman. He always made me and my brother feel welcome on our visits to Grandma’s house when we were little. He is one of the last of a Federal Point residents who knows what life used to be like in the old days. God bless him and give him peace as he makes ready to leave this world behind.

To Federal Point

The “final stop” pun intended is the old cemetery incorporated June 4th 1884. Norman has a place waiting for his remains here and my grandparent’s remains are buried here.

To Federal Point

It is a peaceful place.

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city. Hebrews 11:13-16

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

To Federal Point

There is some very interesting lichen that grows on many of the older grave stones.

To Federal Point

This is likely the place that my ashes and dust will be deposited after the Lord has called me away to His Kingdom!