Sunday, September 23, 2012

Some tears

Some tears snuck up on me this evening. I am an expert at quelling emotion. I rarely allow emotion to motivate me to act on anything. True tears, although a physical manifestation of two of our most compelling experiences, sorrow and joy, go well beyond emotion.

Today was a joyful day for me. Sunday I gather at the place our church meets. Today, as it has been for over a decade’ our place was filled with children and most of them from genuinely happy families. I was delight today to be in the midst of it all. To be where the smiles and hugs are. With the people who build each other in the name of Jesus.

Our pastor has been teaching on family these last few weeks but I have not been paying much mind to it all. I have always been one who advocates a focus on family in most series of “sermons” and yet as I say I have not really even been paying attention. This evening I was stuck by how little we have to do with what gets done for the kingdom. Humility is the only real requirement to see God getting things done. Humility born of God's Word carefully knit into our spirit.

This evening I contemplated the fate of the children that were with us. I immediately knew this was silly. The battle has already been won.We have many families who come and go and I find myself wondering on occasion what they are up to.

Pamela Scott, her husband and troop of four little ones are one such family who were called away from our fellowship several month ago. Just another one of dozens of families that come and go on a yearly basis. We all feel that sadness of their leaving but are happy to think of the others they will bless where the Lord next sends them.

Today our pastor announced to our church family that the next place God has taken Pamela is to Himself. It did not really hit me until this evening when thinking of all the recent changes in our churches ministry approach, and all the families with children gathered in the main worship center, how blessed this day has been. There is a father in a faraway land with his four dear ones who’s help meet has been called away. Children who will continue on with this short life, not without a mother, but without the presence of that mother. This is a sad day filled with blessing for us all.

The battle has been won and death has been swallowed up in victory 1 Corinthians 15:54. Without me paying much mind to it, God has been moving in our fellowship to bring the hearts of His children close to Him. To set them free with His Word of truth. To make us an everlasting family in an everlasting kingdom where there will be no more tears.
And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. 
(Revelation 21:3-5)
God Bless you Scott family in the midst of your grief. Embrace the sorrow and move through this valley of shadow with Jesus. You are loved by so many who share your sorrow. Today your life has served as a testimony for us all.