Sunday, October 16, 2011

They Burned The Dog

 

a2

What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
(1 Corinthians 6:19-20 KJV)

I had a conversation recently. The kind of conversation that could only be at it’s height of profundity when it is with a seven year old. Some how the subject of pets came up. I think the little one brought it up to discuss the more heady topic the conversation ended with.

We have a new dog says the little person to which I reply what size is it. I am always disappointed to hear when someone gets a big dog because they are completely impractical in almost every case. The little person holds a hand about eighteen inches from the ground to indicate it is a smaller dog which pleases me greatly.

Next I hear the the previous dog was burned. What could this mean I think to myself. The child then says the doctor recommended it and that when the dog was returned to the family it was nothing more than dirt. Ah I think to myself this is profound. I quickly explain that everything is dirt and pinching the forearm of the little one I say your body is dirt, God made man from the dirt.  I say you are not your body you only live in your body for a while and then it goes back to dirt.

A little one to the left of me who had been listening in to this exchange turns to me and asks if I can get some dirt out of him.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. (2 Corinthians 4:5-10 KJV)