Saturday, August 13, 2011

Outboard Motor Maintenance

About three years ago I purchased a 5hp Nissan motor for a canoe we have had for years. This year it began to stall minutes after I would accelerate. I could have taken it to someone who knows what they are doing and get paid handsomely for such or I could blunder around myself and save a “boat load” of money. I chose blundering around.

Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboardNissan 5hp 4stroke outboard

I removed the carburetor of the little Nissan four stroke model NSF5A2. and I soaked it in sea foam over night!

Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboard

Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboard

Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboard

I soaked the carb. in sea foam overnight!

Nissan 5hp 4stroke outboard

I also removed the fuel pump mostly out of curiosity all the while thinking this whole operation was going to be a disaster. After replacing the spark plug when the maiden voyaged failed everything worked fine and my problem was fixed! There is nothing like being self-reliant as long as you keep in mind that none of truly are. This is a time in history when we all need to pull our own weight and rebuff the parasitic ways that are destroying our country and robbing so many of the rewards of hard work and personal achievement.

This little engine has made quite a few delightful adventures possible. here is one of my favorite ones.