Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Its A Flapping Baby Boy

Today I constructed a box with a mote and added three milkweed plants. In order to easily find the chrysalises it is best to keep the caterpillars contained in a small area.

milkweed-mote-1

milkweed-mote-2

I plucked the largest caterpillars off the original milkweed plants and place them on the plants surrounded by the mote.

Caterpillar-in-hand-curled

Caterpillar-in-hand-long

Yesterday the surprise chrysalis I mentioned in the previous post split and a shiny new male monarch emerged! You can tell the gender by looking for two dark spots on the lower half of the wings.

Monarch-out-a-little

You can clearly see the two black markings just to the left and right of the abdomen in the image below.

monarch-full-back




I took inventory of the caterpillars on all the plants and my final tally was sixteen! Quite a good little crop and I am hoping for more visits from egg laying females when the sun come back out!