Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Body


I am reminded that the body and the spirit are two entirely separate entities. The body is the temporary home of the spirit a temple if you will. Yesterday at church one of my friends and a fellow manly man was strolling up the sidewalk to the church.

Last week I saw him on several occasions with a bandage wrapping his forearm and you can bet I was anxious to see the damage. I asked him how and he said it was the result of a car accident.

Now that the gauze was no longer present I quickly asked to see the injury. It is a beauty and I can imagine the scene of the accident was very bloody. I have had my share of stitches and the experience is a mixed one. It always strikes me funny as the doctor numbs the wound and begins to vigorously scrub the area inside and out. For an experience physician the procedure is routine and they think nothing of sewing you back up.

This is where I start pondering. I have an abiding faith in the God of the Bible and I have been aware from an early age of God’s Word concerning the body. Seeing the stitches reminded me that the body in little more than a suit of skin and flesh and bone. When the body gets torn, ripped, or cut we have it sewn back up and carry on with life.

There will come a day for each of us when we will no longer reside within our body as we once knew it. Our body will eventually wear out just like an old comfortable outfit and it will be thrown away, with much pomp and circumstance in many cases, where it will return to the dust God made it from.

When we know the truth about the body we can live in liberty!

And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. Matthew 10:28

But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin. Romans 7:23-25

And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. Romans 8:10

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. Romans 8:13

For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26

As alway it is a decsion for each individual. It is a responsibiltiy given to each person by a wise and loving God. When you hear the truth you will do somthing with it. The only question is what?

1 comment:

  1. my sisters are all properly horrified and uneshamedly fascinated ;)

    Thank God that his physical damage from the accident was so minor.

    See you tomorrow night :)

    ReplyDelete

Make my day or not with a comment!